Gaming Machines


Machine Games Duty Cash Prize Machines

” Familiar theme tunes and flickering lights – a fruit machine is almost as traditional as The Great British Pub! “

§  Choose from

£5 Jackpot [CATD]

and /or

£100 jackpots [CATC]

§  Low Tech Easy Play or

§  Hi Tech with boards, trails & features

§  Up To £400 Jackpots available to Members Clubs [CATB4]

§  Meters track cash in & prizes paid out for accounting assurance.

§  No Licenses Required

To provide a gaming [cashprize] machine for customers to play, a premises must do two things:
  1. Notify their local council Licensing dept 
  2. Register to pay the Machine Games Duty tax on the revenue. Registration with HMRC is a legal obligation. 

A Premises licensed to sell alcohol has an entitlement to provide gaming machines set within the Alcohol Premises License. But you have to notify the Local Authority that you intend to continue to provide gaming machines and when your existing ‘notification’ expires you must renew – 2 months prior to the expiration of your existing permit.The majority of pubs are allowed two cash prize machines. Licensees who want additional machines must prove to local licensing justices that there is a demand for them. The “notification” is in the name of the premises licence holder and will remain in force for the duration of that licence. The current fee is around £50 and is payable directly to the local [council] authority.

In areas where children are allowed, you should only have gaming machines [AWPs} with a maximum payout of £5. Any other jackpot is only playable by people aged 18 or over. In this case, it is best to position your AWPs away from areas to which children have access. Make sure you are operating within your premises licence.